Sunday 20 April 2014

Bobblephobia

April 18
There have definitely been certain techniques in knitting that I have avoided. Either because I don't like the way they look or because they are too fiddly! Color work is definitely fiddly. Especially Intarsia with all the little balls every where!!The finished item is often worth the extra effort though. I don't care for stranded color work because the strands are messy. Fair Isle is fun but very challenging. I struggle with keeping a flexible fabric that isn't too tight. Then....there are bobbles. I'm kind of a bobblephobe. Finding a place where a bobble will be attractive is difficult. Texture can be very effective in a garment but too much texture can really ruin a silhouette. Bobbles are a lot of texture! My goal is to work through all of the techniques that I avoid to add to my skill set. Bobbles will be my first adventure! I'd decided that I would use Barbara Walkers instructions because she is a genius! I found that they were still “too bobbly” though. So I modified the instructions. When I got to the stitch I was going to make a bobble in I:
K1,yo,k1 into the same stitch. Turn. P3. Turn. K1, yo, k1, yo,k1, now complete the row.
On the following row, when you get to the bobble sts, wyif (with yarn in front) sl1 purlwise, let yo drop, sl1 purlwise, let yo drop, sl1 purlwise. Now slip the 3 purl sts back to the left hand needle and purl them together through the back loop. That’s it a bobble!
I’m going to look through all the different techniques…and maybe try them all. The first step in over coming your fears is facing them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment